Sunday, July 20, 2008

You want big stories? This weekend delivered.

Before we start with the big sports headlines, we must start with the big movie of the weekend:

This weekend was the premiere of the new Batman movie, "The Dark Knight." Thank you to everyone for coming out in Hilo and Kailua-Kona. I was at the Hilo location at the Prince Kuhio Plaza. First off, someone actually admitted in line that they were related to me (still checking on that one), its amazing how annoying people can get to show that they want to win tickets, and free cookie and malasada samples REALLY make my day!

As far as the movie is concerned, I really loved it. I rate it an 8.5 out of 10 possible points. There were a couple of lull spots for me, but other than that, the action was great, the Joker character deserves an award, and it left me asking questions. I'm definitely seeing this again. (If you are a friend of mine and you read this, do you wanna go?)

_________________________________________

Now to the BIG sports stories of the weekend:

- Padraig Harrington wins The Open Championship. While many people are disappointed that we didn't get to cap the story of Greg Norman's honeymoon with a win at a major championship (by the way, at the ripe young age at 53), Harrington's story is also pretty good. Just a few days before the tournament, there was a very good chance he wouldn't even be healthy enough to tee off with a wrist injury. Four rounds later, he successfully defends his championship.

- Michelle Wie ALMOST proved me wrong. She did shoot a career round on Friday at the LPGA State Farm Classic. She also put herself into 2nd place during the 3rd round in Springfield, IL. But, that third round wouldn't matter, as she was DQ'd for not signing her second round scorecard. Tough break Michelle, but I can't feel bad for you. You are a professional. You must always remember to follow the rules. If you were an amateur, I may feel a little remorse, but as a professional, there is no excuse.

(by the way, the fact that Golf has the top two big stories on the blog is good for the game. this rarely ever happens.)

- Jason Taylor is now a Washington Redskin. Believe it or not, this deal makes sense. The 'Skins lost their top defensive end to a season-ending injury. Jason Taylor on record has said he will only play one more year. Why not trade for Taylor to fill in for the season? You give up only two draft picks, but in the end you strengthen your defense. Good move, Washington.

All of this and more, including our "Squawk With Brock" segment (hopefully) on Monday on the program!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I might have to go check out that movie now that you mentioned it. *sigh* $9.50 at the theater doesn't sit well with me. Should I wait for the DVD? Hmm...