Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Why is MMA so huge?

Before I blog about the topic at hand, I first want to send out my thoughts and prayers to those who were let go at the Honolulu Advertiser on Wednesday. For those of you who haven't read the news, you can read it here.

As someone who works in the media, my heart goes out to those who were victim to these cuts. We all work our hardest to deliver news, opinion, and stories that you can talk about to relate to. Unfortunately, because of the crumbling economy that we are living in, some of these outstanding professionals have had to be let go.

Sometimes, we in radio compete with those in print. But, in the end, we are all part of the media. I hope that those who were let go will be able to get back on their feet and support themselves and their families in their tough times.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I'm very fortunate to have a group of people, both male and female, that I can talk to about sports, pick up ideas, throw around opinions, etc. I recently asked one of my newest friends about a blog idea, and this trustworthy person said "Why not talk about MMA?"

Sure.

MMA is growing. Whether you think the sport is barbaric or not, it has garnered a growing audience of blood-thirsty, action seeking fans.

I think part of the allure of MMA, at least here on the Big Island, is that we are seeing guys who live here and train here compete. And it all starts with B.J. Penn, born in Kailua, but residing here, doing business here, and training people here to become MMA fighters, and more importantly, keeping fighting off of the streets.

I also believe that MMA is a sport that EVERYONE can enjoy. While Boxing is normally viewed as a sport where the rich people watch, bet, and enjoy, anybody can go to a MMA fight (as long as you can pay the rising ticket prices) and watch guys go at it. No meddling Don King wannabees, no worrying about fixed fights, just clean action.

If you are looking to to find out what I am talking about, go to the Civic in Hilo for the next Beatdown event on August 9th. ESPN Radio will be broadcasting a Big Island first, live MMA play-by-play, with yours truly on the call beginning at 7 pm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for caring about the wonderful people at The Advertiser. It's a very sad day for all of us. I can only hope that everyone across the globe affected by the tough economic times will someday be able to bounce back. Let's stay strong and be positive!