Thursday, July 17, 2008

Don't cut JV Sports!

Thanks for clicking onto the blog! Before I get to JV Sports, I told you guys I would put up the link on Natalie Gulbis here on the blog. As I teased on the show on Thursday, there is a contest out there for one lucky person to win a day with LPGA Golfer Natalie Gulbis, according to the Steady Burn blog.

Now, I know our targer demographic is males, and you younger ones I'm sure would definitely jump at this chance. After all, wouldn't you want to brag to your friends about going on a morning workout, round of golf, and dinner with a golf beauty?

But, at the same time, I wouldn't tell you this if I wanted this for myself. I'll let you guys have this one. I mean, after all, I'd embarass myself in the morning workout by barely lifting any sort of weight, I'd lay a gigantic egg on the golf course, and by the time dinner came around, I would be such a mess I would want to hide in my hotel room to prevent myself from further embarassment.

So, it's all yours, guys. Good luck writing your essay. I still need to learn how not to strike out with the smart women here before I take any kind of shot at a professional.

___________________________________________________________________________

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read this article on the DOE proposing a cut of Junior Varsity high school sports and two lesser varsity sports.

First things first, I'm a proud former JV / Varsity athlete. I realize that playing JV basketball was more than going on the court and playing, er, trying tying to play the game I loved. It was more than just trying to be popular while being on the top school's squad (I still wasn't popular either way). But, I realize how much playing sports kept me out of trouble.

If you are a parent, JV Sports served a dual purpose. You had a couple hours off from your kids every day while they were at practice (don't lie, sometimes you feel like you could use a breather). You also had a golden opportunity to bring the family out to watch your son or daughter play.

But more importantly, high school sports, Junior Varsity and Varsity, helped as an avenue to teach the kids a few life lessons. Obviously, after playing high school basketball and tennis, I didn't pan out to be a fantastic athlete. But, I did learn how to be a leader. I got to be a three year captain of my Varsity tennis team. I learned how to interact, communicate, and work as a team with people that I was around all the time. There aren't too many opportunities for people to get that kind of hands-on learning.

I know a few people teaching at the DOE, and they tell me that other extra-curriculars are being put on the backburner, like music and other arts activities.

It would greatly sadden me if JV sports were knocked out. I realize how much it helped me, and I'm sure you can say the same thing.

Let's look at the other side of the coin, though. Our economy stinks, for lack of a better adjective. Job cuts, lighter wallets, panic. That is the honest look at what we are seeing not just here in Hawaii, but across the country. And the DOE is in that same boat. They see a $4.2 million dollar budget, look at it and see how they can cut it down....a million bucks lighter.

We could all play the blame game. One caller today said the DOE is mis-managed. I hinted that maybe the government is improperly spending a lot of our money.

But, the fact is, we need to find a way to save Junior Varsity sports.

Any ideas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Always support extra-curricular activities — sports, art, music, whatever. Sometimes you get more out of those than stuff in a regular class room. We need to find another way out. Cutting educational programs is NOT an option!!!