Sunday, March 15, 2009

Method to My Madness: Filling out my NCAA Tournament Bracket - 1st Round



Now that the field of 65 has been determined, it is time for me to fill out my 2009 NCAA Men's Division I Tournament Bracket. Just so you know, as we are currently at selection sunday, I make my predictions as soon as I get the teams. I don't like to wait a couple of days to stew things over.

First things first: Sure fire locks to win in the first round. This at least gets me going with some of my favorites. And they are:

MIDWEST REGION:

(1) Louisville - Even though they are the #1 Overall seed, they have the toughest road to the title, because there are so many uncertainties in this bracket, and although Louisville won the Big East title, that doesn't erase the fact that they can be erratic at times.

(3) Kansas - I think they will beat ND St. in the first round. After all, this is North Dakota St.'s first year of eligibility in Division I, therefore their first time in the big dance. Nothing like facing the defending champs to break in your tourney experience.

WEST:

(1) UConn - After all, they open against UT-Chattanooga. Good luck to the Mocs.

(11) Utah State - 30 wins, 4 losses, and a #11 seed? Thats total disrespect to the WAC. They should knock off #6 Marquette, who lost one of their best players to injury earlier in the season, and haven't been the same.

(3) Missouri - The Aggies from Utah would be the Tigers next opponent if Mizzou can get through Cornell. I think the Tigers are going to be too physical for the Big Red.

(2) Memphis - I'd hate to be CS-Northridge. Facing a team with a chip on it's shoulders. Prepare for a beatdown.

EAST:

(1) Pittsburgh - For obvious reasons. They do open up with East Tennessee State

(5) Florida State - Wisconsin is the first round opponent for the 'Noles, and I hate Big Ten play this year.

(3) Villanova - Playing at home in the first two rounds. Nuff said.

(2) Duke - Sorry Binghamton, but Coach K is the all time winningest coach in Tourney history.

SOUTH:

(1) North Carolina - Ty Lawson will be back, and the Tar Heels should have no problem against Radford

(4) Gonzaga - They've got a favorable draw here in the first few rounds. Plus, I like Bulldogs over Zips anyday of the week.

(3) Syracuse - There's just something special about Syracuse when the play in the Big Dance. SFA better bring their A+ game, or they will fall to the Orange.

(2) Oklahoma - Don't think anyone on the Morgan State squad can match up with Blake Griffin

Now that I've finished up my absolute LOCKS for the first round, time to do a little more research and finish my first round predictions.

UPDATE: 6:11 pm - Just finished my first round projections, and I am convinced that we won't see too many upsets on the first two days.

Upset Winners: 11 Utah State over 6 Marquette, 9 Siena def. 8 Ohio State, 10 USC beating 7 Boston College, 10 Minnesota def Texas.

I've even gone to a coin flip to help me decide 8 LSU s. 9 Butler in the South region. Winner. 8 LSU. These teams will battle in a close one, but I see LSU as the team with the most momentum heading into this game. Butler is probably still reeling from the upset in the conference championship game to Cleveland State.

No comments: